The Eden Prairie Lions Club is pleased to team up with the SouthWest Metro Pickleball Club (SWMPC) to feature a fun-filled Pickleball Tournament at the Schooner Days celebration on June 2nd.
Our Lions Club appreciates the hard work SWMPC Members have done to bring the new Pickleball Complex to Staring Lake in Eden Prairie and we have become a supporter of SWMPC fund raising efforts. We invite you to register as a Player and/or Volunteer in our Pickleball Tournament.
Bring family and friends not only for Pickleball but to enjoy the additional activities such as Bingo, the carnival, Lions beer and food concessions, and softball.
Know that your attendance at Schooner Days aids the fund raising efforts of SWMPC as well as the many other community causes our Lions Club supports.
We are looking for VOLUNTEERS and PLAYERS
Here are the details about the tournament:
Schooner Days Pickleball Tournament
Presented by Eden Prairie Lion’s Club and
South West Metro Pickleball Club
Tournament Date: June 2, 2018
Round Lake Park
16691 Valley View Road
Eden prairie, MN 55346
(Eden Prairie Road and Valley View road)
– Men’s Doubles – 7:30 a.m. – Noon
– Women’s Doubles – 7:30 a.m. – Noon
– Mixed Doubles – 12:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
– This tournament is open to all levels of players 12 and over and will be grouped by skill level.
– Medals will be awarded to 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each bracket
– Match format will be Round Robin
– Tournament Ball will be the Onix Fuse Outdoor ball
– Registration opens: March 26, 2018
– Registration deadline: May 19, 2018
– Register as a player here: PLAYER REGISTRATION
– Register as a volunteer here: VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION
– Fee: Entry fee is $20.00 and each event is an additional $5.00
– Fee includes $10 of Schooner Days tickets provided at check-in. Tickets can only be used at the Lion’s Club Big Tent for food, refreshments (including beer) and Bingo
– Tournament Directors: Scott Schreier and Nick Astbury
The Chan Rec Center welcomes new players to play the fastest-growing player participation sport in America, pickleball! Pickleball is played on a court with a paddle similar to those used in ping-pong, only larger, and with a baseball-sized whiffle ball. The chief differences between tennis and pickleball include the average speed of the ball (one-third as fast in pickleball) and the size of the court (just under a third of a tennis court). A great game for all ages.
Chanhassen Rec Center
$3.00 for Chanhassen residents/$3.50 for non-residents
Pay daily or purchase a multi-use punchcard
Equipment available for check-out at the front desk
Schedule subject to change, see Rec Center website
Be prepared for laughter and meeting new friends. Come learn the game with our Pickleball instructors! They will teach you the game rules, techniques for executing shots (serve, return, volley, dink), simple strategy, and teamwork with your doubles partner.
Chanhassen Rec Center
Max: 12 participants
Fee: $10.00 per participant
Fee includes on 90-minute pickleball lesson and 2 free passes to play indoor pickleball
Lessons will be held on the indoor courts
REGISTRATION IS REQUIRED
Join us for a fun, un-officiated, double-elimination tournament. Limited to 12 teams of 2 per division (1 teammate will register both players). Prizes are given to winners in each category.
Games may be timed
Please note skill level and partner when registering
$15.00 per team
Registration deadline: Monday, June 4th
WE GOT THE COURTS! On Tuesday, March 6, the Eden Prairie City Council approved eight new permanent courts to be constructed beginning this Spring at Staring Lake Park!
These first-class courts will meet our expanding needs for permanent courts. The plan is to start work in April/May and have the entire project completed by October with court play possible as early as August depending on weather.
This was a Club-wide effort. Thanks so much for all the great efforts and financial support of all you Club Members to make this project a reality. We’ll have a grand, Grand Opening.
Thanks to everyone!
Once again SouthWest Metro Pickleball Club (SWMPC) is partnering with TRIA to help keep Pickleball players healthy and on the courts! These sessions have been very popular in the past, so mark your calendars now!
Tuesday, April 10th – Click Here to Register
“Core and Balance Techniques” and “When NOT to Walk it Off”
3:00 – 4:30pm
Thursday, April 12th – Click Here to Register
“Staying Active after Joint Replacement” and “Best Practices for Recovering From Injuries”
3:00 – 4:30pm
Come in comfortable clothing. Some portions of the presentations will allow for participants to practice the techniques discussed.
TRIA Physical Therapy and Education Center
3800 American Blvd. West, Bloomington, MN 55431
The conference room is located on the second floor of the Bell Bank Building (tall glass building next to TRIA main clinic). Follow signs to the top level of the Bell Plaza ramp for direct skyway access to the TRIA Physical Therapy and Education Center.
FREE parking is available in the Bell Plaza ramp. The meeting room will be on your left just before the main elevators as you enter into the building from the skyway.
Become a Referee and have the opportunity to referee in the biggest tournament of all time in Minnesota!!
SouthWest Metro Pickleball Club (SWMPC) has the honor of hosting the USAPA Middle States Regional Pickleball Tournament (formerly Miracle Ear) in August 2018!! We anticipate in excess of 450 players!
A USAPA sanctioned tournament requires referees for ALL matches which means we need a lot of trained, experienced referees!
The SWMPC will conduct two classroom referee clinics and two outdoor training sessions to allow referees to gain experience. Some rules have been changed in 2018 and we have new procedures to make refereeing easier.
To get started:
- Go to USAPA.org — Rules and Referee section
- Read or download the rule book
- Read and download referee materials, Referee Handbook and Line Judge Guide
- Take the on-line referee test
- Attend a clinic:
- March 14 at Eden Prairie Community Center 6:00-8:00PM
- April 11 at Eden Prairie Community Center 6:00-8:00PM
- Practice refereeing casual games to gain experience
- Attend on court evaluation process in May dates and Locations TBD
**All referees at the tournament will be required to take a clinic, pass the on-line test and be observed refereeing matches
This is an exciting opportunity for you and SWMPC. Please sign-up and make this the greatest tournament ever!! Players and non-players welcome!
Thank you for helping out!!
USAPA Registered Referee Trainer
612-860-3839 [email protected]
Prior to attending either clinic, please refer to the USAPA Referee Handbook and Referee Test.
Registration is required. To register, go to: USAPA Referee Clinic Registration
Craft Beer, Good Food, and Pickleball Friends…What Could be More Fun!
Please join us on Monday evening, March 26 at the Crooked Pint Ale House at 3210 Chaska Boulevard in Chaska for beer, food and great fellowship with 15% of your bill going to support the SW Metro Pickleball Club’s efforts to get new courts completed next summer.
We can meet at 6pm as a group or dine anytime between 5 and 9pm depending on your schedule.
To claim the 15% discount, PRINT out the coupon below and bring it with you, OR show it to your server on your phone. A coupon IS REQUIRED, and coupons will NOT BE AVAILABLE at the event.
This will be a ton of fun! See you there!
WE WANT YOU TO GET INVOLVED
2018 is off to a great start and it looks like it will be another banner year for Southwest Metro Pickleball Club! Your club and opportunities to play, compete and make new friends have taken a giant leap; and we’re getting noticed both regionally and nationally – more to follow on this in a bit.
You asked for our club to help promote Pickleball in our communities, to assess and develop your Pickleball skills, to provide education and training to learn more about our sport, and we are going to deliver on these requests in a big way this year!
Over the next few days and weeks we will provide more detailed information, released here on our club website and in email messages to our club members. We will be announcing new and exciting partnerships that will expand benefits to all our members; with Tria we will offer new wellness and lifestyle classes for everyone; we will conduct referee training classes, run skill assessment, skill development opportunities in clinics, classes, lessons, and drills; and announce several local tournaments.
Here’s your chance to get more involved in your club – we need your help to pull them off. Join your fellow club members, take advantage of these opportunities, participate in the events, volunteer to help run our tournaments. Have fun with your fellow Pickleballers!
Here is a rundown of some of the things you will be hearing about in the next few days and weeks:
- All-Club Party and fund raising event with craft beer, good food, and pickleball friends. Join us the evening of March 26th at the Crooked Pint Ale House, 3210 Chaska Boulevard in Chaska. Fifteen percent of your bill will go to support new pickleball facilities development. Arrive anytime between 5:00 – 9:00 pm but you must bring a copy of the voucher on our website (link) to be part of this fundraising effort.
- New Pickleball hours at Champions Hall effective immediately. Open Play will be on Monday through Friday 10-2. Level 4.0 and above on Saturday from 12-4. If you have punch cards, please use them up. NO new punch cards will be issued. The cost will be $6.00 per day.
- July 4th Tournament at Eden Prairie’s Round Lake. Compete at YOUR level. And if you’re not the competitive type, we have lots of tournament logistics that need your help.
- August 8 – 12 our club will be running a USAPA Middle States REGIONAL Tournament at Dred Scott Fields in Bloomington. This will be a major upgrade from the past, with high-caliber players and pickleball fanatics from here and all over the country participating. We need tons of volunteers to pull this off, and you’ll have a blast!
- New playing venues, drills, clinics, lessons and referee training. The Club’s commitment to advocating for new facilities and growing members’ skills has never been higher. Keep your eye on our website for progress on new outdoor pickleball courts in Eden Prairie and Bloomington.
- You’ll also find clinics and classes to help you become a better player, and a calendar that tells you where you can play every day of the week.
These are the highlights we’re most excited about. But what we’re most proud of is we now have 523 members of Southwest Metro Pickleball Club, all who share a passion for the sport and the fun and fellowship of being with others who share this passion.
Please continue to help us grow and improve by volunteering at any of the events listed above.