Learn the On-Court Mechanics for Pickleball Referees
Become a Referee and have the opportunity to referee in the biggest tournament in Minnesota!!
SouthWest Metro Pickleball Club is hosting the USAPA Middle States Regional Pickleball Tournament again this year in August.
A USAPA sanctioned tournament requires referees for ALL matches which means we need a lot of trained, experienced referees!
The SWMPC will conduct referee clinics and outdoor training sessions to allow referees to gain experience. Some rules have been changed in 2019 and we have new procedures to make refereeing easier.
The first two clinics will be held on June 15th and June 22nd
- June 15th 8am – 10am at the new courts in Hopkins – Click HERE for directions
- June 22nd 8am – 10am – Location TBD
- Register below
Description: This clinic will teach you the ins and outs of a referee’s on-court responsibilities and how to successfully manage a Pickleball match!
The clinic is a up to 2 hours of practical training on the courts. During this clinic, you will:
- Learn how to score a match the correct way, do the player orientation/briefing before the match, conduct timeouts and keep control of the match. Of key importance, you will also learn how to recognize stacking and what to look for to recognize right side, right server issues.
- Demonstrate on the courts what was learned in the classroom setting. While four attendees actually play a game, one of the attendees will referee the match. The remainder attendees will score the same match until their time to be the referee. Each attendee will rotate through the referee position in a low-stress learning environment. Between the classroom and on-court sessions, each attendee will score the equivalent of approximately three games.
Who Should Attend: Everyone who wants to know the rules better and wants to know the basics of refereeing to help make pickleball tournaments successful. Becoming a referee not only will help give you an edge in your personal game but will give you an opportunity to give back to the sport to help it grow.
Who Are The Instructors: USAPA Certified Referee Alan Roemen and USAPA Regional Tournament Director Scott Schreier.
- The Referee Handbook will be the ‘lesson plan’ for the clinic, so please become familiar with it before coming to the clinic. The Referee Handbook can be downloaded from the USAPA website, https://www.usapa.org, under the Rules and Referee tab, via the Referee Materials In order to download it and other materials, including the required test(s), each attendee will have to register as a member of USAPA and have a member number.
- Complete one test before the clinic. Under the same Rules and Referee tab used to access the Referee Materials, select the link named Rules Tests. Each attendee should take the REFEREE TEST. If desired, you may also take the Line Judge Knowledge Review, and the Players Test. These are easy to complete, are graded immediately, and will give you a feeling for how well you know the rules before the class.
- Watch the Quick Start Referee Video available on the USAPA Website under the Rules and Referees tab and then click Referee Training Tools. Or go to it at this website: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2QDfbI4ovg
What to bring:
- A notebook/pen/pencil or tablet to take notes.
- Your pickleball paddle for practical training exercise.
To reserve your spot, please sign up online using the forms below for the date of the session you wish to attach. Each class is limited to 20 people. For questions, contact Alan Roemen at [email protected]
June 15, 2019 – https://forms.gle/YPQc4AY6zSGftufn9
June 22, 2019 – https://forms.gle/hiXzBRFGypQJyNZr6